Friday, August 28, 2009

Visitor 1: Red Grasshawk

I was walking along the Constructed Treatment Wetland in school one day, as usual, taking note of the dragonflies there. A few male Dawn Dropwings passed, when suddenly, a differently coloured dragonfly flew past me. It had different flight movements, so I was sure that it was a differerent species. A Red Grasshawk it was. I moved in close to check it out but it flew off to the other side before I coudl get close to shoot it.
-
-
I finally managed to get this shot (above) as it rested on the grass. I had to walk extremely slowly towards it, so as to ensure it does not get disturbed and flies off. Believe me, I did not use even a bit of zoom for these shots.
-
-
As it flew to one of the water plants that was in the middle of the water, I realized that I would once again have to use my 'lying down' technique. I managed a few shots before it understood that i was sneaking behind it.
-
-
Currently dragonflies are one of my favourite insects that are commonly seen. I had another surpries just sfter this Red Grasshawk.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails