Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weaver Ants and the Mimic

So once again, I was back home and started my routine checks around the bushes by my house. I spotted a few of these large weaver ant nests, some high and some low among the trees.
-

-
These ants sure are fearsome creatures and their bites are nasty. However, not far away I managed to find another 'weaver ant'- just that this one had 8 legs.
-

-
Now here we have a weaver-ant-mimic-spider (thats a long name), a mimic of the common weaver ant. These spiders tend to act like weaver ants and use the opportunity to snatch away and feed on unaware weaver ants. Since they look really alike, most ants may not easily recognize them. And many predators, at one look may think they're one of those fierce ants and hence decide to leave them alone. As you can see, this spider seemed to have already feasted on a weaver ant when I took the picture.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails