Thursday, December 4, 2008

Black Bearded Gliding Lizard

-
This is the 2nd trip to Bukit Timah with my friend, and the 3rd for myself. At first we were not expecting to see anything much, like my first trip with him. But our hopes rose when we spotted a Gliding Lizard on a tree trunk by the stairs to the Summit. When I looked away for a moment, my friend said that he saw it possess a black flag on its neck, so we assume that it is a Black Bearded Gliding Lizard, Draco melanopogon.
-

This small to medium species is common in lowland primary and secondary rainforests. In Singapore it is restricted to the primary forests of Bukit Timah and the mainly secondary forests of the Central Catchment Area. It can usually be found at eye-level.
Its diet comprises mainly ants, termites and other small invertebrates. The female lays just two eggs in each clutch.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails