Friday, October 30, 2009

An Unusual Visitor: The Great Diving Beetle

At night I was sitting in the balcony looking at some bats flying around when I heard a 'buzzz...' sound near me. I looked around and noticed that there was a beetle on the floor, upside-down. I got the beetle to its normal position but it still could not really crawl on the ground. I switched on more lights to see it clearly then. It was a Great Diving Beetle!
-
-
I took these shots after having placed it in a bucket full of water. It was a beautiful insect, about 5-6cm in length. It was an excellent swimmer too as it swam gacefully along the sides of the bucket.
-
-
Probably my first time encontering this animal in the wild. I decided to release it in a Paddy field the next morning as that was my hnting destination for tomorrow.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails