Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Common Dragonflies in My Area

Dragonflies pretty much rule the low skies in my area in India. Due to abundant breeding places, many species of dragonflies prefer to stay here. There are also perfect conditions for them to live a happy life. There are other insects for food, stagnant water bodies for breeding, open areas for basking and lots of twigs for resting. The only problem is that, there's only one person to photograph them all. And that's me. Although my area is full of dragonflies, I never get to photograph them all since there's such a variety, and most species prefer to fly off than let me take shots. Hence here are some really common dragonflies I've encountered so far. This one's a Brown-Backed Red Marsh Hawk Dragonfly.
-
-
This species isn't obedient at all times and will sometimes decide to be left alone.
-
-
Next up is the Slender Skimmer, which regularly co-operates and allows itself to be photographed.
-
-
And in the end, there are a bunch of dragonflies you end up missing as they prefer to be left alone. Here's a species of dragonfly that I caught as it was about to rest for the night. It seems to have a swollen vent.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails