Sunday, April 11, 2010

Exploring the Late Evenings

It was about 5.30 in the evening when I was back from a friend's home. I had left in the early morning and was back only in the evening. I decided to go for another mini-hunt around my home for a few critters. I spotted several small fireflies below the young banana trees. That's their favourite tree and it's not that easy to shoot them with a digital camera as there is little light.
-
-
Both full-green and colourful grasshoppers hopped out of the path as I walked through.
-
-
A pair of little butterflies were mating in the thick bushes, hoping to avoid attention.
-
-
I managed to catch a small Changeable Lizard while it was hiding on the other side of a small shrub. To be honest, catching these small lizards can be tough, especially the ones from India!
-
-
Here's one of the few small yellow caterpillars that were found in one particular plant. Have identified them as 4th stage Common Mime Butterfly caterpillars. Many Thanks to Bluebottle for the ID.
-
-
Also on the same plant as the caterpillar was this tiny hopper.
-
-
Towards the late evening, things can change pretty fast. It suddenly gets darker and these flies, together with the nasty mosquitoes, come out and fly around close to you. I don't think they are harmful but they sure can be annoying.
-
-
Here's a tiny bee collecting from a flower its last bunch of pollen for the day.
-
-
Lifted up a flat rock and found the black worker ants together with the eggs. Ooops, looks like I've disturbed a colony of ants.
-
-
And finally, to end off, here's a green Katydid attracted to the light on the wall outside my house. Went close for a head shot before it flew away towards the light.
-

2 comments:

Bluebottle said...

shawn, didn't you see my blog? Those are common mime caterpillars!Now you can breed on just like me.
Warning: Common mimes eclose anytime, from 12am to 11.59pm. :(

Shawn said...

Hi Bluebottle, thanks for the identification! Of course I do view your blog often but forget sometimes... Haha...

But sadly I can't brred them since these photos were taken long ago.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails