Thursday, January 29, 2009

3 Scorpions in a Day!


A group of workers had just arrived at my house to clear a pile of old rocks and soil. I was confident that I could find a snake in there as it is a very suitable hiding spot. But my Grandpa, who has a lot of experience with snakes said that it may be rather hard to find snakes in there but I may surely see some scorpions... Wow... Scorpions were also one of my favourite Invertebrates... To find a few of those would be good too... I thought. And as the workers started removing rock by rock, I spotted a few centipedes and spiders, but no Snakes or Scorpions.
It was when one Big Rock was removed did I first see something interesting. Fat body, black in colour... Yes. It was a Scorpion. I quickly turned on my Camera and started photographing it. It was such a joy to find it. The picture [above] and [below] are pictures of the first Scorpion.
-
-
I was so excited about this Scorpion that it forced me to take a few more. Enjoy these small pictures. For a better look, zoom in by clicking on the image.
-
-
I used a stick to hold onto it as I brought it to the sitout infront. Wow... The Scorpion could jump really well and I got an awesome shot of its pincers high up and its sting ready to attack.
-
-
But it was not over yet. A few minutes after getting this big one, I went back to the pile of rocks and found a smaller scorpion on a rock. The workers had found it and got it out safely. Check him out. But sorry for the fact that he's full of mud and soil. They live in such environments, where they can dig and burrow.
-
-
Here are two more pictures of the second scorpion:
-
-
After the clearage of the entire pile, I managed to get another scorpion that seemed to have injured itself during the clearage. It was about the same size of the second one. I got them all into an empty bucket and got a shot. The one circled in red is the thrid scorpion. If you notice you will be able to see that the left pincer is partially broken.
-
-
I decided to keep the scorpions for a day, so I moved them into a small transparent, plastic tank overnight.
-
-
Phew! All in a day's work.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails