Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Call of the Toad(s)

I reached back home in a few minutes and was astonished to hear calls in the field beside the tank that belonged to either a frog or toad. With the help of a torchlight, I went down to investigate. To find an Indian Purple Frog will be a great delight. But of course, these callers were just Asian Toads.
-

-
They were all over the area, but were much better hoppers than those in S'pore. They were so active that I only managed to get 2 into my hands. The rest hopped away or dodged my net. Oh yes I used a net by the way. I am not exactly sure if this species of toad is the same as that of the Asiatic Toad, Duttaphrynus melanostictus, as they had a different pattern and some had different colours, with shades of purple and grey.
-
-
Here are few more toad pictures.
-
-
There were toads nowadays but before, a few months before, there used to be many frogs in the tank. But now, it seems like there are hardly any. These frogs had either moved to a new place to breed, or many in the population had been preyed on. Now, it's succesful breeding for these Toads.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails