Monday, January 12, 2009

A Mantis that resembles a Stick

A Stick Mantis, in other words. I was hastily setting up some traps to trap snakes when I found this tiny Mantis on the leaves of a young curry plant beside me. Lucky for me, I had my camera with me. At first I had great difficulty photographing the mantis as it was so thin and small that my camera could not sense it. But at last, in out of 12 pictures that I took, I managed to get 4 pictures with the mantis clearly visible. Here:
-
-
I really found this particular insect very intriguing, mainly due to its apperance and its movement.
-
-
Unlike most mantises, this one was a rather fast moving creature, and, it always 'jumped' when it felt threatened. As I could not get much clear pictures, I asked my grandpa to get it onto his hand. He tried, but at that moment, the mantis felt too much harassed and 'jumped' again, only to let me know that it had disappeared. It was never seen again and I had no idea where it went, due to its thin and small body.
-
-
-
In my opinion, I think that it was a rather awesome find as it is a mixture of two: A Praying Mantis and a Stick Insect. And, as I continued my search for the next few days, I never saw another one again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails