Thursday, January 1, 2009

Insects spotted in Day 1

I had managed to find a large number of insects in the first day itself, so here they are. I have some insects that I can't identify... Like the tiny 'scorpion with feelers.' Well, The first insect I saw was in the house. It was a weevil-like beetle with white spots on a brown body.
-
-
After getting some snaps of the beetle, I went outside to hunt. The first thing I found was a small Butterfly resting on a leaf. I noticed that it had torn wings.
-
-
A second Butterfly was seen next. It was a Female Common Mormon, a mimic of the Highly Poisonous Common Rose. As it moved, it slowed down a little to lay some eggs on 'what-I-think-is-a-type-of-lime-plant.'
-
-
As you can see in the first picture of the Common Mormon, there was a tank nearby, and so was there a coconut tree leaf. After the butterfly went off a Red Dragonfly rested on the leaf of the Coconut Tree.
-
-
A few minutes after the Dragonfly, I had encounters with insects that I had never seen before. I am not even sure if one of them is an insect. The first insect I saw was this tiny 'hopper' that had skin shades of Black and Blue.
-
-
Then in the backyard I came across this weird looking insect that looks somewhat similar to a beetle or cockroach. Only after that did I see this tiny black creature that I have no idea of. It looks like a scorpion as it had eight legs that were arranged in the same way of that of a scorpion. It also had a small sting on its tail. BUT, it had feelers. That gave me the idea. I showed this image to a friend and only then did I realize what this thing is. Its not thing but 2 things. The are mating beetles!
-
-
Well, on the same type of plant as the 'scorpion', was a small Hairy Caterpillar. I can never say what Butterfly's or Moth's larvae this is. It could even be the young of some other type of insect. I'll never know...
-
-
After finishing up with the caterpillar, I spotted 2 moths, one was the Day-Flying Moth, and the other was one that I do not know. It looked very much like the common ones that you see in almost every field here. But it was bigger.
-
-
The Last but never the least, I have 2 more insects for that day. And these were rather camouflaged. Lets see if you can spot them. In the first picture is a yellow dragonfly looking towards you, and in the second, is a grasshopper that looks very similar to the grass it has clung onto.
-
-
Thats all folks!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails