Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Close-Up with a Monitor

After guiding the pupils, we were in the canteen having a small snack, when some of the visitors there started taking photographs of something close to the path. Out of curiosity I moved closer to have a look. I later realized that it was a Malayan Water Monitor, about a metre in total length. It was resting just below where we were standing.
-
-
Soon, it started to walk around the area. I took a shot of it as it searched for food near the soil. I noticed that its entire tongue was nearly out in the shot I took.
-
-
It wasn't long after that when it tried to get itself onto the wooden ground where we were standing. The Monitor gave us a weird look at first, then slowly tried to climb up the wooden stand. But someone's flash suddenly disturbed it, making it retreat back onto the ground.
-
-
-
Well, the Monitor seemed to be determined to succed in his mission in climbing up the wooden stand. Just after a few of the students left, it slowly got its heavy body onto the wooden stand, just inches away from our toes. I took a shot as it slowly walked around on the stand. The tongue is nearly entirely visible in this shot too.
-
-
After finding the area a warm and suitable place to rest,it lowered its legs and lied down there like a baby. Awww... Well, these lizards, although being the largest lizards in Singapore, are commensal with humans and hence are not very aggresive. They may look cute and fierce at times, but in all, it is a harmless giant that will not do anything to you, unless provoked.
-
-
-
It was time for me to leave the wetland already. Just before leaving, I led down on the wooden stand, put my camera on the floor and took two side-view shots of the Monitor. It gave an awesome look to the photograph, although I had never tried this method.
-
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails