Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Urban Garden Caterpillars

I've got dozens of photograph of creatures that I saw in that particular garden itself to show. I've got to show them one by one, following their categories. Well the particular animals here are caterpillars. I managed to find two species (maybe three) of caterpillars in the garden. First one is a Lime Butterfly or Common Mormon Butterfly Caterpillar. I spotted one of the green one and another one of the small, bird-dropping like one. Here's the older green one.
-
-
I'm not sure if these caterpillars belong to the Lime Butterfly or Common Mormon Butterfly. Both feed on the same leaves, and their caterpillars also have an exactly similar look; the newer one disguised as a bird-dropping, the older one full green with a black 'eye' at the back to scare away predators.
-
-
And the younger form, with the disguised bird-dropping colour. Best shot I have of it was when it was making its lunch out of a lime leaf.
-
-
The other species I have is the caterpillar of another very common butterfly here, that is often seen flying around in the hot sun. Their Caterpillars are hairy with a mixture of colours. I encountered this particular one on a leafless twig. It actually 'jumped' to the floor upon seeing me.
-
-
I got it onto a leaf and it soon started to feed on it.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails