Sunday, March 15, 2009

Left with a Tarantula

We were just about to leave to school when I curiously lifted up a rock close to the vegetation. Something brown moved a little, and at first look itself I knew what it was. A Singapore Tarantula, the only species of tarantula that can be found in Singapore. It took me quite a while to get a full shot of it. First I managed to get a shot of it with its head hiding under its nest.
-
-
These are hairy, robust spiders with heavy jaws projecting forward horizontally from the cephalothorax. The fangs point backwards, instead of facing each other like a pair of pincers as in most spiders. On the underside of the abdomen are two pairs of book-lungs, whose positions are marked by four pale patches.
-
-
Soon it moved out of the nest cautiously and I was just there to get a shot of it with its entire body out. This is one of the pictures that I took:
-
-
This is a common species found in and around leaf litter and under rocks and pieces of wood. Gardens and wasteland are its favoured habitat, thus making it common in urban areas.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails