Monday, March 9, 2009

Green Mantids Everywhere

It was nearly the end of noon when I went over to the scrubland where I released the banded racer. I found that place rather interesting as it contained a variety of plants and a number of dead logs which could be home to many creatures. As I looked through the leaves, I spotted several mantises hopping around. These mantises are very common in rural areas like this, so there is no difficulty in finding them. I first came across this particular one under a green leaf. Upon spotting me it moved the other side - only to make it easier for me to photograph it.
-
-
Every single mantis I found there were of the same species. All had same colours and were the same size too. Here's the next one I encountered.
-
-
Although extremely common, they are rather hard to photograph. This is mainly because these small mantises are actually full grown adults with wings, something that they use very often. Whenever I start to move my camera closer to them, they tend to fly away as quickly as possible. Thats what happened with this mantis shown below. The only photograph I got of it was a rather blur one.
-
-
The final mantis I did see that very day. Since I see them very often outside my house, I rarely want to photograph them. These mantises are also very fast and always like to fly. And if I was to photograph every single mantis I see, its gonna finish up my camera space soon.
-
-
A good day it was, though. A snake in the morning, and being able to photograph four common mantises after noon. What do you think is going to come for the night? Well as I was leaving the place, my cousin came running to me shouting "Snake!" As I rushed back, I noticed a rather long snake quicky slithering into a rat hole. If I'm not wrong, it should have been a Common Rat Snake. The colours and scale pattern looks like that of the Rat Snake. I hope it wasn't a Spectacled Cobra, because if it was, then I would miss out the whole thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails